January was interesting and challenging. The year started off with great cricket – the Proteas on a winning streak against Sri Lanka in the ODI series. There were interesting moments in politics: De Lille left the DA, Gordan vs Zupta saga, ANC infighting. The best news, however, is that a good spell of rain brought some relive to the Western Cape drought.
Thanks for the memories January, hello February. It’s still summer. Fewer working days. Valentine’s Day. February is a fabulous month. A good time to throw out the old and bring in the new.
We’re talking computers, of course. If you’ve been thinking about getting a new gadgets and computer for a while, right now is a good time. We have a few suggestions –
Due to demand, we’re once again offering the Q50 Kids GPS Smart Watch at R550 and have also held the prices on the popular HD Action Cameras while stocks last. Note that there is free shipping nationwide on the Q50 Kids Smart Watch.
As per usual, good quality generic cartridges and toners are available at absolutely fabulous low prices. Honestly, check out those cartridge prices online.
If you’re in the market for a new PC, read on. We think you will like the specs and prices.
AMD A4-7300 FM2+ PC
The battle between AMD and Intel is legendary. However much one may be an Intel fan the benefits of the AMD APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) technology in the desktop environment cannot be ignored. While Intel’s HD Graphics are architecturally very similar to AMD’s integrated graphics accelerator, a similarly CPU specced AMD processor usually outperforms its competitor in the graphics department.
Take the AMD A4-700, for instance. This dual core 3.8GHz socket FM2+ APU features 192 Radeon Stream Processors (Radeon HD 8470D) with a GPU clock speed of 800MHz. Not too shabby, Nige 🙂
But here’s where the AMD system is unbeatable: the price.
We hooked up the AMD A4-7300 APU with the ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ motherboard, added 4GB Kingston HyperX Fury RAM, a 1TB Western Digital, DVD-R, bundled it into a black SAMA M35 mini-ATX case (with 350W PSU), added a Genius keyboard and mouse and now offer it at a February fabulous R3 699.
The ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ quick specs:
- Support for Socket FM2+ 95W / FM2 100W processors
- All Solid Capacitor Design
- Supports Dual Channel DDR3 2400+(OC)
- 1 x PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 x PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 x PCI, Supports AMD Dual Graphics
- Integrated AMD Radeon™ R7/R5 Series Graphics in A-series APU
- Graphics Output Options : D-Sub, DVI-D
- 5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec)
- 1 x Print Port Header, 1 x COM Port Header
- 4 x SATA3, 2 x USB 3.0, 10 x USB 2.0 (6 Front, 4 Rear)
- Supports ASRock Cloud, APP Shop, Full Spike Protection, X-Boost
You’ll notice that we are promoting this AMD system as a gaming PC. Sure, it’s is not a hard-core gaming rig but that APU and mobo combination will run most modern games at good speed… and, as said, at a darn fabulous price.
Essential Intel Skylake Desktop Computers
If you have a preference for Intel-based computers, we’ll also gladly assist with these Socket 1151 systems –
- Essential Pentium G4400 Skylake 3.30GHz Dual Core
- Essential Skylake Core i3-6100 3.70GHz Dual Core
- Essential Skylake Core i5-6600 3.8GHz Quad Core
Each of these desktop computers are bundled into a SAM M35 mini-ATX case and feature 8GB Kingston Hyper-X DDR4 2133 MHz RAM, 1 terabyte Western Digital Blue hard drive and Hitachi LG 24x SATA DVD Writer. We’ve opted to run this range on the Asrock H110M DVS R2.0 motherboard –
Asrock H110M DVS R2.0 motherboard quick specs:
- ASRock Super Alloy
- Supports 6th Generation Intel Core™ Processors (Socket 1151)
- Digi Power, 5 Power Phase design
- Supports Dual Channel DDR4 2133
- 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 2 PCIe 2.0 x1
- Graphics Output Options: DVI-D, D-Sub
- 7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC887 Audio Codec), ELNA Audio Caps
- 4 SATA3
- 4 USB 3.0 (2 Front, 2 Rear)
- Supports Full Spike Protection, ASRock Live Update & APP Shop
Agreed, if you require number crunching type processing, the Hyper-Threading feature – which allows each CPU core to process two threads simultaneously – of the Intel range will suite your needs. And, oh yes, when you add a nice graphics card those i3 and i5 CPUs will be up to the latest games.
The Essential Intel Skylake desktop computers are listed on our online shop in the Computers category.
Please note that these systems do not include the Windows operating systems. Keyboard and mouse are optional.